Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Yea, I'm a Homemaker! - part 2

Guys, our living room totally needed something - a pizazz, a little boost, some color, personal touch, you name it - our living room needed it... so, I took it upon myself to resolve the problem and I was able to do it fairly inexpensively. It was easier than I thought!
If you've been to our place you know that there is a huge empty wall in our living room. We have our "entertainment center" on this wall but that consists of a tv stand and our flat screen lol so the wall from the top of the tv up has been blank for the last few months. We have been wanting to hang something up above the tv but haven't really found anything that we were in love with.
We had bought some canvas' when they were on sale an made a "headboard" for over our bed by covering them using some neutral fabric (in case we wanted to change our bedding). It turned out really nice and we hada couple canvas' left over so we thought this same concept may work well in the living room.
We have a HUGE JoAnns a few miles from us so we went to see if we could find some fabric that we liked and that would work in the living room. We wanted something that was colorful but not over the top and I have to say, we got extremely lucky!
Here's how it turned out:

Up top: Here they are up close - As you can see the wall is not completely covered, but it definitely makes the blank space smaller. Below: this is the overall view. I really think it turned out nicely. We wanted to have two contrasting fabrics that matched and, like I said, we got really lucky. I found this striped fabric and there was only a yard left - once they gave me the slip for check out I realized it was on clearance - YAY!! It was only $2. Then the polka dot fabic just happen to be a perfect match with all the colors and they looked Soooooooo good next to eachother. Guys, tell me what you think - and be honest?!

So, after the canvas was covered I had enough striped fabric to make one pillow and only enough polka dot fabric to make a half.... I went back to JoAnns and got a little bit more polka dot fabric and then decided to stretch what I had and do pattern on one side and solid on the other. I bought a yard of tan and a half yard of brown. I used polka dots on one side with tan on the other and then I put brown on backside of the stipes. Pillow covers are actually not that hard to make and way cheaper than buying throw pillows. They turned out really good.

On top of the striped fabric being on clearance, the other patterns were on sale! We were able to add some color and comfort to our living room for less than $20... YAY for style!

1 comment:

Caglefamily said...

SO much fun, love the colors! Just want you to know how much the Cagle's miss our Jesseeeca!