Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Avery's Birthday

I haven't written in a while.... I've been a little busy! :) BUT, I wanted to update - and write a little something about our experience bringing our little bundle of joy into the world!

Since Avery decided that he was not ready to come into the world we made the decision to give him a little push! On Wednesday morning (10/29) we had to be at the hospital at 6am to be induced. My doctor made plans to meet us there to break my water. We get to Athens Regional and go to through the whole check-in process. It wasn't too long because we had already registered... but when they tried to get us to our room they realized that we were supposed to be at St. Mary's. Apparently, there had been a little mix up with the doctors office!! ... thirty minutes later we were on our way to our room. Thank goodness they got it worked out.

We get to our room and they have me put on the hospital gown and check my vitals and get everything situated and we were set. The nurse put an IV in - both of my arms - and then we waited for the doctor..... Well, we went in with the intentions of just breaking my water to try and get things going, but my doctor was in surgery so she decided to have them go ahead and give me petocin (or however you spell it!) to induce labor. At 8:30am they started the petocin. At 9:45am - and with not much progress - my doctor finally came in and broke my water. Weird feeling... having your water break. Shortly after I started having pretty frequent and painful contractions. My mom called for an epidural and after they gave it to me everything STOPPED. Abou thirty minutes later I couldn't feel a thing, I couldn't move my legs and the word contraction meant nothing. About 10 hours later the nurse thought it might be a good idea to turn down the epidural a little bit and once she did things started ROLLING!!
I wont go into details on that.... :) I'll just say approximately two hours later we had a baby!


Here he is!! PERFECT, but huge!! 9 pounds 2 ounces and 21 inches long.Our new family. They are lucky I let them take my picture - Bluck!New dad. He had an IV put in his right arm because he had a slight fever. So they put this splint on his hand so he wouldn't tear out the tube. AND, they put a sock on his other hand so he wouldn't scratch his face... Poor thing! Oh, and what is with those paper shirts they put on babies now...?? :)Here he is all bundled up and ready to go home. SO... quick story on that - we get him out to the car and attempt to put him in the carseat, which we had on the smallest (newborn) setting. Yeah, he didn't fit. we had to take him out AND take the carseat out and change it to the next setting. The whole time he's screaming mad because we tried to squeeze him in and he was too big! People were staring.... Alex and I were so embarassed! But, we finally got it together and thirty minutes after we had been discharged we were on our way home...

2 comments:

Ashiya5500 said...

how much does he weight momma Jessica!

Joey Rachel Avery & Ansley said...

He is so Perfect; Congratulations:)