Wednesday, April 23, 2008

Lion King


So this is a little bit old news, but this is the first time I have been able to do anything besides school work!! On Saturday the nineteenth, Alex took me to see the Lion King on Broadway at the Atlanta Civic Center. What an Amazing experience!! The Costumes were incredible and the performers were noteworthy - no pun intended! : )
I’ll start by saying that we left Athens at about 4pm because there was supposed to be some pretty serious road work going on . Well, turns out the road work was happening on the other side of the road so we got to Atlanta around 5:30 and the show didn’t start until 8pm. We drove around and saw some pretty shady areas as well as some really cute old neighborhoods. Their houses were all painted weird colors like bright green and blue and pink.. Kind of cool. So, we decided, we should go find somewhere to eat. Well, we didn’t know where to go downtown because they wouldn’t let us park at the civic center - it was too early. So we decided to get back on the interstate and drive up to the next exit that had food. We ended up going to Shane’s Rib Shack and had bar-b-que. We had never been there before, even though there’s one in Athens and it was in fact, pretty good. We recommend the fries, not the baked beans : ) but their sandwiches are really good.
Once we got back to the civic center we got inside and had to wait for them to open the theatre. Our seats weren’t amazing, but they weren’t super expensive and I didn’t mind. I would have liked to sit a little bit closer, but they weren’t the worst seats in the house either! We could see everything pretty clearly. Of course, no pictures allowed - so we don’t have anything cool from the actual performance!
The first scene when Mufasa is presenting Simba at pride rock was probably my favorite - as it is in the movie. For some reason, watching it that night brought a few tears to my eye. I have never really been to a show of this magnitude and this one touched me.
The show was so powerful and it made the story so much more alive to see real people acting out the characters and feeling their emotional experience as they told the story.
The show was about three hours long, an hour and a half for each Act with an intermission in between. The only thing that I might do differently if I were going to see it again would be that I would try really hard not to compare the broadway to movie. I felt like in the first part of the show I did that and once I realized that I tried to watch the show in a different way. I think that not comparing it makes it one thousand times better; because they share a story line, but they are in fact very different.
All in all I really enjoyed the Lion King and felt like it was one the best dates Alex and I have had in a really long time! Thanks, Honey!!

this is before we left our apartment ... Lion King, here we come!!




This is the little posters that were at the top of the civic center. I wish we could have taken one home with us!!

Our picture in front of the civic center. I think it turned out pretty cute.

Us in our seats before the show started. I don't really like this picture....

1 comment:

Caglefamily said...

Ok, the words I have for you!!! I am not happy young lady! First off, you didn't tell me you had a blog, and second and more important; you did not even share with me that you were pregnant. What is that about, I am hurt! Yes, I have moved but I am still alive. I just can't believe it. Well if it's a girl her and Corban will be almost four years apart, just like Dustin and I. PERFECT!! Pumpkin Pie Pershka, how cute is that! If it's a boy, well that would be fun too! Congrats!!!!!