Tuesday, May 27, 2008

We Hate Dallas

So…. Our trip home was yet another amazing adventure. We came home on Sunday night. Our flight from Salt Lake City left around 4 in the afternoon and the flight itself wasn’t too bad; but, we decided to get to the airport early so that we wouldn’t have to pay for a whole extra day on our rental car when we were only going to have it for an extra hour. Because out west the airports have security checkpoints at each terminal you get through a lot quicker. That left us sitting and waiting for about three hours.
We couldn’t get internet and we didn’t bring any movies to watch…. So we found this sports bar place and we sat and ate an appetizer and watched a basketball game. Not an incredibly bad time.
As I said, the flight itself wasn’t terrible… except for the fact that we had to sit all the way in the back of the plane - and I believe the back is where you feel bumps the most! We got to Dallas and after a bathroom run we checked the flight boards and what do you know… Our flight was DELAYED. We had already had a bad experience at the DFW Airport and this one wasn’t starting out any better. So, we got to Dallas around 6:30 and we were supposed to have a two and a half hour layover and leave for Atlanta around ten. Since our flight was delayed we ended up having about a five hour layover and would not leave Dallas until almost 11:30. This wouldn’t have actually been that bad, except that Alex’s parents had agreed to pick us up in Atlanta. With our layover, they would be picking us up around 2 am. We felt terrible… much to our surprise, they weren’t mad and they still came!! YAY… :)
We decided to find a nice place to eat since we would be around for a while - we thought we’d make the most of the situation and go for a date night… haha, at an airport restaurant! Luckily, DFW has a TGI Friday’s on every terminal and since we don’t have one in Athens we thought it was a pretty good choice. On our way to our terminal, Alex saw some soccer players coming past us. “Hey,” he says, “those are professional soccer players… the LA Galaxy.” I reply by mentioning the name… you know, his name. “I wonder if we’ll see him,” I say. As we get to the Friday’s we see a couple more groups of two or three players walk by… he wasn’t with them. While we wait to be seated, I see three more player walking towards us and about five police officers behind them… “I bet he’s in that group,” I say to Alex and as we stand there… waiting … watching… we see him - David Beckham. Where was my camera when I needed it?! Of course he walks by and about five minutes later we see so many people running by, even our waitress left the restaurant and ran down to his gate. This is insane - I kept saying. And finally, Alex decides he wants to take the camera and go down to try and get a picture.
He stays gone for about ten minutes. When I see him walking back up he doesn’t look very happy… we make eye contact - and he shakes his head. I can already tell there is a story. He sits down and tells me that he didn’t get the picture. “I pushed through all these people who were just standing there and go in a line with the camera. The lady in front of me asked me to take a picture of her son getting his autograph and then I even took a second picture of her and her son with him. After I finished, the cop said ‘Alright people, its been fun but that’s enough’ then he went into a corner and a whole bunch of cops surrounded him.” Alex was so upset he wasn’t even hungry. He just kept saying how he didn’t understand that the police officer sat there and watched him take pictures for that lady and then turned him away. He wouldn’t even eat because he was so mad. I thought it was a little bit funny, but I felt really bad for him. I just thought it was dumb that he didn’t take a picture of the guy while he was standing there… instead he was waiting to take a picture with him.
So, we ate and we went and say at our gate and Alex stayed mad the whole time. He tried to get on the internet - he couldn’t - that made him even more mad. He couldn’t get on the internet, so he decided to play games on the computer and after about two minutes the battery died - that made him even more mad. I finally just left him alone and went walking around the airport. Everything was closed, so I went to the bathroom and walked back to my poor angry husband, who apologized for not acting nice. And, in not too much longer we finally got to leave! We made it home and Alex’s parents were waiting for us in Atlanta. It seemed like forever before we got home but once we did it felt so nice to sleep in our own bed!! If we learned one thing from our trip out west…. It was that we’ll NEVER, EVER ….. schedule a connecting flight in DALLAS!!

1 comment:

Jared and Katy said...

Woah! David Beckham, thats awesome! Jared told me about it after Alex texted me.